Scenario Design for Tournament Playtesting
Ideally I would like a beautifully balanced four-player custom scenario
with no temples or ruins, using Bob's Tournament Armies. But as a
way to playtest the rules, we can settle for less. Here is what I did
to create a Playtesting Scenario for the Mac:
- Start with Hadesha Scenario, which I feel has the best balance of any
- Replace Default Armies with Bob's Tournament Armies. (See
Proposed Army Set Info.)
- Switch all cities to building only ghosts. The idea here is that Ghosts are
useless units, but you can pillage them to get a small amount of gold, thus
reducing the net cost of installing the first production unit.
- Set all cities to a gold production of 24, based on army set economics.
- Sides to Be Played:
I thought these gave the best balance of starting positions; each player starts
more-or-less in a corner of the map. Another possibility would be
White-Yellow-Green-Dark Blue. Black must be reserved for the moderator
in case of Random Turns being on.
- Yellow (Lord of Sloth)
- Orange (Lord of Greed)
- Red (Lord of Fire)
- Light Blue (Lord of Flight)
- Each side receives 255 starting gold to purchase production early on.
All useful builds will be purchased by the players; this is designed to
eliminate the randomness whereby Warlords sometimes adjusts existing builds
upwards or downwards in speed, strength, and especially time to build.
- I wanted to eliminate the ruins, but Warlords didn't like having them
taken out. There aren't any heroes anyway; the official tournament
scenarios shouldn't have ruins.
- Before letting players play, first turn is taken as follows:
- Accept hero.
- Retool and add production as follows:
The choices are made to slow down Yellow and Orange just a little at first,
and to speed up Light Blue, relative to Red. My sense of playtesting the
scenario is that Yellow and Orange have a slight advantage and Light Blue
has a slight disadvantage when all players are just given Spearmen.
- Yellow - Explorers (Scouts)
- Orange - Explorers (Scouts)
- Red - Spearmen (Light Infantry)
- Light Blue - Dwarves (Dwarves)
- Begin building units.
- Disband hero and ghost.
- Second turn is taken to bring production within one turn of completion.
- Game is begun on turn 3, as first units arrive and players can move. Before
letting anyone play, Yellow's Explorers are moved southeast to the gates of
the nearest city. This is to prevent Yellow from putting the explorers into
the bay and blockading Red before Red has a chance to expand a little.
Back to the Tournament Ideas Page