Advanced Tactics - Air Maneuvers
Edited, and mostly written, by Bob Heeter. Last Revised March 17, 1996.
- Any air unit can transport a hero through the air too (even bats!)
- Air units in mountains or over water cannot be attacked by ground
units - this can help make it easy to send a flying squadron deep
into enemy territory.
- This also applies to armies on coastlines.
EXCEPTION: Air units on port squares or adjacent to city squares
may be attacked by ground units (who turn into naval units)
attacking into the port or out from the city.
- Corollary: The best (and often the only) defense against enemy
air units is other air units.
- If your hero has a flight item (Wings of Flying, Magic Carpet, etc.),
*any* units grouped with the hero will be able to fly, at *any* time.
- Note: In the mac versions, a hero with a flight item can often
drop non-flying units anywhere, even over water, then go off and do
other things. The units remaining will be okay until they move again.
But in some versions, units left behind over water will drown.
- Corollary: Flying elephants are *very* impressive!
- Naval/air trick: a unit moving into water/shore away from a flying hero
turns into a navy as if it was leaving a port. If your flying hero
stack is too far from friendly boats, this can be a trick to use at the
end of the move that will let your hero move much faster on the next
turn. You may want to bring along a trid unit for just this purpose.
- As indicated above in the naval section: flying units will move like
naval units when grouped with navies. Heroes made into navies cannot
be picked up by air units, but must find a port to return to land.
- Amphibious Invasions: Normally a naval stack can only go ashore
at a port anchor, bridge, city, etc. HOWEVER -- and this has surprised
a large number of expert players! -- a hero grouped with a flying unit
and a stack of naval units can lead the ENTIRE STACK into battle ON LAND, as long
as there are enemy units adjacent to the shore square where the hero is!
Return to the main Advanced Tactical Ideas Page